Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Are E-Books Really Taking Over?

To date, electronic books only make up less than 2% of all books sold. Trade books, both hard and paperback, are 35% and mass market printed books are 21%. As far as distribution is concerned, Book chains sell nearly 30% of all the books sold, followed by e-commerce sites at 20%, and the independent shops account for 5%. I would image the digital distribution will be a new channel and experience robust growth once the EReaders start hitting the market in a bigger way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 2% of the entire book market today, I might suggest that the ereaders will be a huge success, just as the MP3 devises were for portable songs.

Anonymous said...

I just purchased an electronic book device from Amazon. Never thought I would. They are great!
I most likely will continue to buy a book or two, but I had no problem transitioning to the tablet.

Anonymous said...

I would agree, this penetration will grow.
Do not knock them until you have tried one. I was at a show, demonstrated both the kindle and the Nook and was 'blown away' with just how easy they were to use and it proved to be a surprise that reading a book this way was not bad at all!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the electronic devices will catch on, and I do not doubt, be successful in penetrating the book and magazine / newsletter markets. BUT, let's not forget that paper is relatively inexpensive, renewable, and recyclable. I think people will always enjoy reading a book, in the printed form. There is a place for both to exist.